Sunday 14 December 2014

Number 3 of my Top 5 Albums of 2014!

Right, so number 3!

I have to admit, I am kind of cheating with this one. I am not going to apologise though, and here is why...
My number three, was technically brought out in 2013, but a Live version of the album was released this year. I personally think this album is a huge step forward for Electronic Dance Music (EDM). There has always been the clubbing/rave side of EDM and the chilled out side, but this album meets somewhere in the middle, with just the right amount of ambient and epic, and who doesn't love a little bit of epic, honestly. As the live album shows, it also lends itself quite nicely to live instruments, which Electronic artists seem to be doing a lot recently; potentially something to do with the popular 'you're not a musician if you don't play a guitar' argument at the moment. My opinion? We are in the 21st century, does that mean pilots aren't pilots because they use cruise control?

Okay I have rambled a bit, so the album is......... The North Borders by Bonobo!







For any who don't know, I am a HUGE EDM lover. At the moment, the main focus for my own music, is doing vocals for EDM producers, hopefully being part of a duo. However, I also love playing with live musicians.
So, it is pretty safe to say that if Spotify counted how many times an album had been played, this one would be a ridiculously high number!


Bonobo is a British DJ/Producer from Brighton. His first release, Terrapin, was in 2000, so he has been around for a while; he hasn't just landed. His music is quite bass heavy, being EDM, but slightly more appealing to people who wouldn't necessarily usually listen to this kind of music, as it doesn't have as much of a prominent hard hitting constant bass drum on every beat.
The North Borders - Live Album also comes with a DVD of his tour; you can watch a little preview here. My jammy little bugger of a boyfriend actually worked on the bars at one of Bonobo’s nights in London a couple of weeks back; he isn't really a fan of EDM, but even he searched the album the second he got home. If you knew my boyfriend, you'd know how much that says about this album, he really isn't into this music at all... he likes to call it 'bang bang thump dance music', yeah, I know...

So, go listen!
Watch the DVD as well, Bonobo actually plays bass guitar live, which I think is awesome! Especially considering critics like to say producer/DJs can't actually play music... (I am doing my dissertation on this, touchy subject!!)
I suggest very good speakers or headphones!




Much Love,

Chloë
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

);